Few would disagree that summer vacation engenders thoughts of unspoiled beaches, sparkling swimming pools, relaxing spas, and fine restaurants in every member of the family – except, perhaps, for those of the four-legged variety. The perfect summer day for Fido or Fluffy would likely include a helping of tasty treats, a relaxing grooming session, and a few hours worth of fetching and biting chew toys before catching some Z’s in a comfy hotel room. Thanks to pet-friendly packages offered at various pet-friendly hotels in major cities like vibrant New York City, historic New Orleans and scenic San Francisco, your pet can have a “pawesome” experience without forcing you to break the bank. Below are a handful of pet-friendly properties offering loads of goodies just too good for your furry companions to pass up.
1. New York’s Hotel Pennsylvania: As the host hotel for the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, New York’s Hotel Pennsylvania is no stranger to four-legged guests. Conveniently within walking distance of the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Times Square and the world-famous Broadway Theater District, the hotel offers a pet-friendly special that includes a comfortable guestroom for you and your pet, a welcome pet treat upon check-in, and a copy of Fido-Friendly Magazine. There is a limit of two dogs per room, but the hotel imposes no weight restrictions. Although New York is nicknamed “The City That Never Sleeps,” your pet is likely to do otherwise once he or she sets foot in one of the hotel’s relaxed guestrooms.
2. Affinia Chicago: Affinia’s Jet Set Pets program is designed to help pets feel right at home. Among the services offered are grooming, daycare and boarding, local dog walking/sitting, dog treats, pet beds, pet psychics and pet taxis. Guests can take home a city-specific chew toy, Robbie Dawg tin of organic treats or Homemade Canine Confections, and water bowl designed for travel. Exotic animals or multiple pets are subject to approval by the hotel, and pets must be kept on a leash or inside a carrier while in public areas. Guests should confirm accommodations for their pets with the hotel one week prior to arrival.
3. Hotel Monteleone New Orleans: If your pet is friendly and sociable, he or she will be in good company at Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans. Sitting at the foot of Royal Street in the French Quarter, the historic property features pet-friendly floors where your pup or feline can mingle and play with other visiting pets. The hotel’s Monte’s Pet Package includes a mat for your pooch to rest comfortably on, monogrammed water and food bowls, waste bags, a chew toy, a bag of gourmet treats, and a city brochure. Guests are free to take these gifts home with them after their stay. Should you decide to take your pet for a walk, you’re sure to stumble upon several pet-friendly attractions and restaurants set just minutes of the hotel. Among them are City Park, The Levy Dog Park, Mickey Markey Playground, Cafe Du Monde, Oak Street Cafe and La Thai Cuisine.
4. Ocean Park Resort Myrtle Beach: Certified by the “Pets Can Stay” program, Ocean Park Resort is a pet-friendly facility for small dogs. Accepted year round, pets must be on a leash in all public areas, are not permitted in pool areas, and may not exceed 20 pounds. Carriers are recommended in the event you must leave the pet (only one is allowed per accommodation) unattended in your guestroom. After cavorting with their four-legged friends, the kids – those under 18 stay free – can make a splash in one of the hotel’s indoor or outdoor swimming pools.
5. The Powell Hotel San Francisco: The Powell Hotel, located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, combines historic charm with deluxe accommodations for you and your pet at no extra charge. Opened in 1908, the hotel evokes feelings of an earlier era with marble floors, ornate 20-foot ceilings and wrought-iron railings. While you marvel at the hotel’s handsome features, your pup can enjoy welcome treats included in the hotel’s pet-friendly package. The property’s central downtown location puts you within minutes of Yerba Buena Gardens, a lovely spot for an afternoon walk with your pet, near the Museum of Modern Art and Moscone Convention Center.
If you’re hankering to get away from it all summer, why not bring the furry ones along? Such properties make purr-fect places for your furry friends to stretch their paws while you kick back and relax in front of the TV or watch the kids frolic in the pool. And with great service and fine amenities awaiting travelers, you can rest assured that both you and your pets will be well-pampered.