The Fourth of July is all about celebrating our nation’s birthday with fun, family and fireworks. If you’re aiming to add some major bang to your 4th of July holiday weekend, you’re in luck: We’ve picked out the top five cities in the nation for Fourth of July fireworks celebrations, and all of them are aptly steeped in history. While planning your trip, be sure to take advantage of great 4th of July hotel deals with Getaroom.com.
1. Washington, D.C.: No location is more patriotic than our nation’s capital, which once again will be the setting for a host of annual 4th of July events including the National Independence Day Parade and Smithsonian Folklife Festival. On the evening of July 4, you can enjoy performances by some of the biggest names in music, including Josh Groban, Jordin Sparks and Little Richard – all joined by the world-renowned National Symphony Orchestra. The grand finale? A spectacular fireworks display that will light up the sky behind the Capitol Building and the National Monument.
2. New York City: Everyone knows the Big Apple is home to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, but it is also there that you can witness the largest Fourth of July fireworks display in the nation. The 35th Annual Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks will feature more than 40,000 fireworks fired from six barges on the Hudson River, all synchronized to a dynamic 25-minute score that includes music from The New York Pops, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and pop powerhouses including Taio Cruz, Everclear and Katy Perry.
3. Boston: Since 1974, thousands of people from all over the country have flocked to the banks of the Charles River to celebrate America’s birthday at the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular. The annual event includes a concert on July 3 and fireworks show on July 4 at 10:30 p.m. Be mindful that the Oval (official seating area) is free and open to the public, which means you need to get there early to secure a good seat! Once the Oval area is full, usually by 2:00 p.m., no additional wristbands will be distributed.
4. Orlando: As any child (or adult) will attest, Walt Disney World is a magical place to be in on any ordinary day, so it’s easy to imagine what it’s like when 4th of July festivities are added to the mix. The Magic Kingdom will play host to the Celebrate America fireworks show on July 3-4. Fantasmic! is a breathtaking 25-minute fireworks and water show scheduled for 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 4. Sandwiched between will be a fireworks show synchronized to a soundtrack of rock ‘n roll hits. If you plan to be in Epcot that night, don’t miss IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at 10 p.m. – a mesmerizing fireworks, laser and water show that will include a special patriotic finale.
5. Philadelphia: If 24 hours worth of July 4th fun just isn’t enough, head to the city of brotherly love. Welcome America, Philadelphia’s annual Independence Day celebration, spans almost two weeks. (This year it’s slated to run June 24 – July 4). The Fourth of July Jam and Grand Finale Fireworks special on July 4 at 7 p.m. will include live performances by Earth, Wind & Fire and The Roots. Fireworks shows are also scheduled for June 25 and July 2. Other goodies include food tastings, outdoor movies and a range of educational events for people of all ages.